Speed is an important factor in the equation that determines the position in search results for a website, but is also very important to have the website up and running 99.99%. In order to be sure that your web site is live all day long and to be sure that your hosting company offers quality services it is mandatory to use a monitoring solution.
We evaluated 10 free website monitoring solutions so you can choose the one that fits with your needs.
1. Site24x7 is a fast and reliable server and website monitoring solution. For a free account you can monitor your website ( HTTP, HTTPS, DNS,Ping, Port, POP, SMTP Service, FTP / SFTP ), your server ( CPU, memory, disk, uptime ), the applications installed on your server ( url sequence ), the mail server. You can monitor 2 websites at 60 minutes poll interval.
2. pingdom lets you monitor one website for free and sends you an alert by SMS if the web site is down or reaches other critical thresholds ( you have 20 alerts included ). Also, you will get the alert by email, with no limitati0n. Pingdom offers the following services :
– Monitor that your websites and servers are working
– Be the first to know if something breaks
– Easily spot trends in your performance
– Share your data with others
3. SiteDownAlert it is another service that monitors your website at 30 minutes interval. You get email alerts if the case, monthly reports and online statistics, you have a control panel to manage web server monitoring process. Unfortunately you do not get SMS alerts for free subscription.
4. SiteUptime is another solution that helps you monitor one site for free, checking it at every 30 minutes from 4 monitoring locations. You have at your disposal online statistics or you can receive monthly reports. The service is monitoring web server (http), email server (pop3), email server (smtp), ftp server (ftp).
5. Monitor.Us is a cloud based web monitorin tool with multiple features like: website uptime and response time monitoring, page load response performance breakdowns, “404” not found errors, native agent for server monitoring – Windows, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, Solaris, system events monitoring, SNMP traps (SNMP notifications) monitoring , real browser monitoring, database (MySQL) monitoring.
6. Uptrends monitors your website for free ( 1 website with 30 minutes check interval ) but requires a link back in order to get this service. It has more than 70 monitoring location around the world, it monitors both secured and unsecured urls, it is able to monitor transactions steps, monitors also the server side – mail, web services, databases.
You can receive alerts via SMS, E-mail, RSS and IM. Also, you can get the alerts on your mobile phone – iPhone, Android or Windows phone. You can also download the Uptrends Windows gadget to have all the information on your desktop ) Windows 7/Vista ).
7. InternetSeer is a website monitoring solution that sends alerts to an unlimited number of contacts in real time. Notifications are sent when an error occurs but also when the website recovers. Also, you will get weekly performance reports by email.
After we tested and analyzed all the above solution we concluded that Pingdom is the best among all. Apart from the free plan you can opt-in for a paid subscription ( just 9.95USD/month that includes unlimited email reports to an unlimited number of contacts.
Anyhow, if we missed some services that worth to be mentioned please feel free to let us know in the comments area.